Thursday, August 1, 2013

Poetry Magazine, July 1913

This issue has a pair of debuts: Amy Lowell and F.S. Flint.  Compared to the usual Poetry fare, they come out pretty well. 

I'm especially a fan of the second of Flint's "Four Poems in Unrhymed Cadence."  It's of a genre that happens again and again in poetry--the "connection with the beautiful person on the train" poem.  I've read lots, though I'll admit I'm having trouble locating an example--I'll keep an eye out and add when I do.  The best part is the last line, "This is my station,"  where a lovely ambiguity that is tender and tense emerges between the station he's arriving at and the station of his soul, the stations of the cross, duty and the banal blend together.

There's a positive review of Max Eastman's poetry anthology--I'm still waiting for it to show up at the library, but it's cool to have a connection to The Masses

There's a less positive review of Jessie Weston's translations of Middle English, notable for me because of Weston's connection with The Waste Land. 

Lastly, a hilarious review of D.H. Lawrence's Love Poems and Others, where he manages to move from "The Love Poems, if by that Mr. Lawrence means the middling-sensual erotic verses in this collection, are a sort of pre-raphaelitish slush, disgusting or very nearly so," to calling him the best English poet under 40 at the time. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment