Friday, October 4, 2013

Poetry, September 1913

A quick post on Sept's Poetry.

This one wasn't quite as rich as some have been--the real standout is the essay from Ford Madox Heuffer on impressionism and on poetry in general, which provides a window onto his aesthetics. These in turn help to make sense of the incredible range of style and taste in Poetry and in the other periodicals. Expect hilarious qualified compliments to Pound. Heuffer was able to equate Yeats with Walter de la Mare as poets who he used to think silly, but who he now respects. This makes high-school Tyler Babbie happy because de la Mare was one of the first poets I read on my own, and I'm usually embarrassed to like him these days. Also of note--FMH claims to like futurist poetry, pointing to his own circle's work. I wonder when the term dissociates from the English avant-garde and sticks to the Italians.

Other observations:

The paraphrases from Chinese by Allen Upward are pretty great.

The rest of the crop of poems is the exquisitely rhythmic stuff that Heuffer denigrates in his essay... but I'm starting to think that their age was as much an age of poetry-as-craft as ours. I respect the attention to metrical detail, and see how a lot of people could get really into what seems to me like platitudes in dactyls.

No comments:

Post a Comment