Monday, February 24, 2014

The Egoist, Feb 2 1914

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was, there was a moo-cow..."

This issue's claim to epic fame is its inclusion of the first chapter of Portrait of the Artist as a Young  Man by James Joyce. That book has enough commentary that I won't add anything directly about it here: only, maybe... in the Dec 25 issue of The New Age Beatrice Hastings published a short story from the perspective of a child that was very similar. I was kind of surprised by the very positive response she got, because I thought it was... too simple? But in representing child consciousness and of Portrait's first chapter, BH beat JJ to the publishing punch by a month. 

Poems by H.D.! Racy ones. Imagism has a reputation for being cold, but these poems are anything but. "Priapus" is in the Collected Poems as "Orchard" or something. The real find, though, is "Incantation," which I can't recall having read before. A new H.D. poem, or a memory short-circuit? Here's the last stanza in its glorious intensity:

Arise, 
Lest I bend my staff 
Into a taut bow, 
And slay, 
And tear all the roots from the earth. 


The editorial, though, caught my eye: Marden or Shaw Weaver on a great Egoist tear about the emptiness of concepts, including a refutation of The New Age. I'm sure they answered, hope I get a chance to see what they had to say...

Allen Upward contribs. a weird racist-y piece which I didn't finish because I'm...

Off to another journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment